Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Couple abusing Old man in Hawker Centre [Not graceful]  (Read 4329 times)

Offline greentara

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • My detailed profile
Couple abusing Old man in Hawker Centre [Not graceful]
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »

Couple who abused elderly man at Toa Payoh Lor 8 food centre arrested on Tuesday
April 26, 2017

SINGAPORE — The police have arrested a 46-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman for an offence of public nuisance.

In a statement issued early Wednesday (April 26) morning, the police said they received reports on Sunday regarding a couple who had allegedly used offensive language and force against a 76-year-old man at Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Market & Hawker Centre.

The couple's identities were established and they were arrested on Tuesday. Police investigations are still ongoing.

A video of the incident, which was first shared on Facebook page The Local Society on Sunday, has since been viewed over 2.8 million times, and shared more 41,000 times.

In the video, a man was seen shoving an elderly man while the latter was arguing with a woman. It is believed that the couple and the elderly man were arguing over a seat at the hawker centre.

The video triggered an uproar online. An online petition calling for civil action against the couple has gathered over 8,000 signatures since it was created on Monday.

Subsequent efforts by netizens to identify the couple were futile. A young woman was also misidentified in the process.

Anyone convicted for the offence of public nuisance may be punished with a fine which may extend to S$1,000.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/couple-who-abused-elderly-man-toa-payoh-lor-8-food-centre-arrested-tuesday
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:58:12 PM by greentara »

Offline greentara

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • My detailed profile
Re: Couple abusing Old man in Hawker Centre [Disgusting + Disgraceful)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »
COUPLE ARRESTED FOR CAUSING PUBLIC NUISANCE AT TOA PAYOH MARKET & HAWKER CENTRE

The Police have arrested a 46-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman for an offence of Public Nuisance.

On 23 April 2017, the Police received reports regarding a couple who had allegedly used offensive language and force against a 76-year-old man at Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Market & Hawker Centre.

Through follow-up investigations by officers from Tanglin Police Division, the couple's identities were established and they were arrested on 25 April 2017. Police investigations are still ongoing.

Anyone convicted for the offence of Public Nuisance under Section 290 of the Penal Code may be punished with a fine which may extend to $1,000/-.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/singaporepoliceforce/posts/10156158909844408

Offline greentara

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • My detailed profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
Couple 'sorry', fined for berating, shoving man
SHAFFIQ ALKHATIB | Aug 12, 2017

The couple caught in a viral video berating an elderly man in a Toa Payoh hawker centre made an apology yesterday after they were fined.

A tearful Tay ** later told reporters she had "snapped" that day.

"I was hoping I could say sorry to (76-year-old Ng Ai Hua) in person. But because the investigations were going on, the police did not allow me to do that."

She had been going through a difficult time being the sole caregiver to her 89-year-old bedridden grandmother, she added.

Her partner, Chow **, hopes everybody can give them a chance while stressing there was "no excuse" for his behaviour.

"After watching the video, I feel disgusted with myself."

Tay, 38, a tutor, was fined $1,200 for using abusive words on the retiree with intent to cause alarm and Chow, 45, a director at Novel Learning Centre, was fined $1,500 for using criminal force. He admitted to bumping Mr Ng forcefully.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Kumaresan Gohulabalan said the couple did not know Mr Ng, who had a tray of food and asked to sit at the table Tay was trying to reserve.

A dispute arose when she refused to let him occupy one of the five seats.

She verbally abused him and then called Chow for help.

He later barged into Mr Ng, causing him to fall forward and hold on to the table for support.

In mitigation, the couple's lawyer, Mr S. Balamurugan, said Tay had acted "completely out of character", and Chow "regrets the embarrassment he had caused his family, friends and himself".

District Judge Kan Shuk Weng told Tay: "Your actions were unthoughtful and not acceptable."

Mr Ng could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Source: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/couple-sorry-fined-berating-shoving-manhttp://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/couple-sorry-fined-berating-shoving-man
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:10:56 PM by greentara »

Offline greentara

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • My detailed profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »
Couple in Toa Payoh hawker centre incident feel 'punished by society', hope to apologise in person to elderly man
Lester Hio | AUG 12, 2017

SINGAPORE - The couple caught verbally abusing and shoving an elderly man at a Toa Payoh hawker centre in a viral video said they believe they have been "punished by society" over the past four months.

Mr Chow **, 45 and Ms Tay **, 38, were fined in court on Friday (Aug 11) for the use of criminal force and harassment on Mr Ng Ai Hua, 76, in April.

Ms Tay was fined $1,200 for using abusive words on the retiree, causing alarm, while Mr Chow was fined $1,500 for using criminal force.

Asked about comments from netizens that they had got off lightly with a fine, Mr Chow told The Sunday Times on Saturday (Aug 12) that they have been "living like fugitives" to prevent any further public incidents after facing backlash both online and in public.

Ms Tay, a tutor at Novel Learning Centre, said she sought psychiatric help sometime in June, after she experienced anxiety being in public. She is currently still on medication.

Mr Chow, a director at the same centre, which provides tuition services, recounted an incident that took place six weeks after the video went viral.

"I took her out to have a meal at a hawker centre. But someone recognised us, and started to film us, drawing a lot of attention for other people to look at us," said Mr Chow. "We were just queueing up for a meal; it's scary."

Tay ** (left) told reporters that she wished she could apologise in person to Mr Ng Ai Hua, while her partner Chow ** said he had felt "disgusted" with himself after watching the video.

Arrest of couple in Toa Payoh hawker centre dispute reflects intense public interest in case: Lawyers

Mr Chow said they have been intimidated too. "One time this guy purposely stepped backward while queueing up for food, and stepped on my toes hoping I would pick a fight," said Mr Chow.

Mr Chow and Ms Tay were thrust into the spotlight after a video captured by a member of the public showing the couple in a dispute with Mr Ng at at the hawker centre in Lorong 8 Toa Payoh went viral.

Ms Tay was first seen arguing with Mg Ng, after the retiree approached the table for five carrying his dinner and sought to share the table.

Mr Chow, who arrived at the scene after Ms Tay called him, bumped forcefully into 76-year-old Mr Ng's back, causing him to stumble forward.

Ms Tay said she was not thinking straight and continues to regret her rash actions.

"We rushed to the hawker centre after my classes, as I just needed a quick meal before going home to take care of my grandmother," she said.

She said she had been taking care of her 89-year old grandmother, who suffers from dementia, for the past 10 years. "At that time she was just discharged from hospital after being warded for about a week and not very stable. In fact we were asleep when the video went viral because I was back at the A&E with my grandmother."

The incident put the spotlight on "choping" culture and civil behaviour. The role of social media also figured prominently in the case, especially when another woman was wrongly identified as Tay, leading to online witch-hunts against a different woman.

Acknowledging that their actions were "shameful, selfish and appalling", the couple sought to make amends to Mr Ng.

Both of them wrote a page-long letter each to Mr Ng, dated April 26 - five days after the incident on April 21 - where they apologised to him and asked for a chance to do so as well in person and passed the notes to the investigating officer.

Mr Ng and his daughter, who had posted on Facebook recounting the incident, did not reply to queries from The Sunday Times. His daughter, Caroline, wrote in a post in April: "The only reason we decided to step forward...is to bring public awareness of such act should never be tolerated, to serve as a voice for those who are victimised by similar situations, and to prevent such things from happening again."

The couple would like the chance to apologise to Mr Ng in person if possible.

Ms Tay also said: "I've offered to volunteer at the eldercare centre that my grandmother used to go."

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/couple-in-toa-payoh-hawker-centre-incident-feel-punished-by-society-hope-to-apologise-in?xtor=CS11-86

Offline greentara

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • My detailed profile
Re: Couple abusing Old man in Hawker Centre
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »